Assment

The first reaction from “Pretty Deadly” was positive. But this is mostly because of the art that comes with the text. The art is beautiful and extremely appealing, but the text is extremely confusing. The imagery helps convey the general idea of what’s happening so the text is understandable, but I think it could be better. On the other hand, the subject matter is extremely interesting. This idea of the devil’s child is fun, but again, the text is very misleading and makes it difficult for me to be hooked on the story.

I made a number of connections with the story, mostly artistic. I notices the artist is making a lot of aesthetic decisions that I see myself making. By this I mean that the style this artist is going for is something that I particularly feel attracted to because its similar to my own. Also the use of color is extremely appealing and is being pushed in a way that I would like to use it. This leaves impact on me cause it’s a tool that is being used to communicate the story in the most efficient way possible. When it comes to pure, raw, plot, I didn’t make any connections with my personal life.


If I could, I would turn this Comic into an Animated movie. I think a 2d adaptation would be better in order to match the style, but 3d is also a good option. This would fix the text problem that I addressed earlier, forcing the story to be told mostly by a visual medium. Of course dialougue would still be there but the camera would “show us what is happening” instead of “describing it”. I don’t think I would make many changes to the story or the format. Everything is already there, from the amazing character designs to the harmonious color palettes. This comic is ready to become an animated feature.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Comic Strip

“Understanding Comics” by Scott McCloud

Thoughts on: The Arrival